- States of Consciousness and Consciousness Studies
- Dreams, possession, trance, dissociation, theories of mind and cognition, epistemology, methodology, evolution of consciousness, biosocial approaches, psychophysiology, psychotherapy, cultural psychology.
- Shamanic, Religious, and Spiritual Traditions
- Ethnographic studies of shamanism; modern and core shamanism; Eastern, Western, and indigenous religions; healing practices; ritual; mediumistic, mystical, and transpersonal experiences; magic and witchcraft; music and dance.
- Psychoactive Substances
- Studies of psychoactive plant use in traditional and contemporary settings, ethnopharmacology, psychopharmacology, healing, addiction and recovery.
- Philosophical, Symbolic, and Linguistic Studies
- Myth, oral traditions, language, archetypes, body and mind, comparative studies, visual anthropology.
- Anomalous Experience
- Psychic phenomenon, reincarnation, near-death experiences, mediumistic communication, divination.